Friday, December 13, 2013

Thoughts on the Desolation of Smaug



Desolation of Smaug spoilers and problems....
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
Beorn was kinda weird, still trying to decide if I liked him or not. I kind of liked him better when he was a bear then when he was human. I'm glad they kept his ponies in though.

Thranduil was as awesome as I thought he was going to be. The added touch of his melting face was really cool!

Martin Freeman's growing obsession with the ring was great acting. But Thorin was like "not obsessed, not obsessed, not obsessed, OBSESSED!!!!!."

I actually enjoyed Tauriel character, her fighting was great. Vs Legolas who was a bit stiff and choppy (until the last fight you see, which was pretty good), the riding on the dwarves heads was funny too.

I was very disappointed in PJ re-use of the "glowing Arwen" scene from FOTR, even to exact dialog. I get that he was trying to make people feel like they are back in Middle Earth and everything, but re-using such a memorable scene was not the way to do that.
Tauriel and Kili were cute! Well..Kili was cute... "Why Thorin, would you leave him?"
What was the deal with Azog? Yes, I'm aware that they took Azog from a different character. He was a goblin (big difference there) and well he did kill King Thrór (Thorin's grandfather) he was himself killed in that battle. His son (which I was pleased they actually showed in the first movie) went on to fight in The Battle of the Five Armies. I wasn't to thrilled with his involvement in the first movie, but I was getting used to the idea. Then they just switched him out with another random orc....
UPDATE:
I was totally confused about the random orc and then someone helped me  realize he was supposed to be Bolg.
But I totally didn't recognized him because he got his whole CGI redone.




http://badassdigest.com/.../see-the-awesome-practical.../
That makes so much more sense...but still doesn't change my thoughts on the filler.
SAURON!!!! That was actually one of the best parts. The fight between him and Gandalf. The effects were great!

Lake Town was okay, Bard was good. I look forward to seeing more of him in the next movie. His family was sooooo cute!

SMAUG!!!! Smaug was amazing! Benedict Cumberbatch's voice was amazing! The effects were amazing! The whole exchange with Bilbo and Smaug was really well done. The belly warming up until he breathed fire was cool!

The gold thing was interesting.....but where did it come from? It would have been cool if Smaug had the gold harden on him and then he was just this golden dragon flying around.


5 comments:

  1. i agree with all of these points. haha. the whole time they focused on thranduil i just kept thinking how jealous i was that he has way better hair than i do. then his face started to melt and i figured that makes us even.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU!!! A lot of people have actually been giving me pain about my review, and I'm glad of someone who actually agrees with me.

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    Sorry for randomly popping up. I do read your blog, I just don't really comment... Sorry. Anyway, I saw DOS Thursday night and loved it! Just thought I'd say quickly - the whole thing with Tauriel glowing like Arwen did, was showing that it was because Kili was about to become a wraith...and it was showing how he saw her since he was about to pass into the dark...and she was an Elf.....I dunno. I thought it was a pretty cool nod back to the scene in FOTR. :)

    Smaug was amazing. He was just...everything I was expecting and more! I loved how *huge* he was. Pretty impressive. :) Same goes for Sauron. When he turns into the Eye? wow. Just...wow. O.O So. Cool.

    And Bard. <3 He was my favorite character in the book besides Biblo and I loved how the actor portrayed him. Plus his family was pretty sweet. I like how the daughters were throwing dishes at the orcs. *snicker* The spiders were scary...and I'm not an arachnaphobic at all. Shelob didn't bother me at all. I think it was just the numbers that freaked me out. O.o *shudders* I especially liked how Biblo got mad and killed the spider bruitally to get his ring...then that look of horror he gives to the ring when he realizes what happened. Oh, Bilbo. <3

    Legolas. *snort* He was so sassy in this one. Legolas is one of my all time favorite characters and I thought he was great -- albeit he was a bit of a snot. :) Like when he makes fun of Gimli? *snicker* I laughed really hard at that part....if he only knew...... :)

    Anyway, love your little review! Have a great day and a lovely Christmas!
    ~Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thank you for your comment! I love hearing from followers. I've actually been posting more on my other blog now, I hope you'll check that one out as well. :)
      http://www.libbysbitofheaven.com

      To tell you the truth, I wasn't to thrilled with the scene from FOTR. I was upset over them taking out my favorite elf (Glorfindel) and putting Arwen in his stead was just like NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
      And then I thought the whole healing scene was cheesy and didn't really make any sense. "What every grace is givin' me, let it be givin' to him." What does that even mean? Is she talking about immortality? In the book it was Elrond that healed Frodo.

      Yes! Smaug was awesome! I was afraid I wasn't going to like him because I heard about him being a Wyvern. So I was pleasantly surprised.

      Haha, Bloom's acting did not disappoint. Especially that part!

      Delete
  3. Hey, it's your cousin Rachel!
    So I just saw it, and I totally agree with you on the Arwen scene. I was thinking the same thing. It was so unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete